As we’re into Week 1 of 2016, time for me to take a glance back at 2015? 190 books read — made my goal (on 12/31), 255 posts (short of my goal by a couple hundred), almost triple the traffic over last year (which was almost triple the year before — this is a trend I could live with).
I did a quick breakdown of how my reading broke down by genre over the last few years. Nothing really stands out, other than that I really need to read more Non-Fiction. For someone who doesn’t plan too heavily, the way these numbers (esp. if you look at percentages) are pretty similar from year to year is kind of odd.
|Fantasy||17 (9%)||11 (7%)||15 (8%)||12 (6%)||55 (8%)|
|General Fiction/Literature||17 (9%)||7 (4%)||30 (16%)||30 (14%)||84 (13%)|
|Humor||1 (1%)||3 (2%)||0 (0%)||0 (0%)||4 (1%)|
|Mystery/Suspense||64 (34%)||62 (37%)||63 (33%)||73 (35%)||262 (40%)|
|Non-Fiction||8 (4%)||4 (2%)||2 (1%)||11 (5%)||25 (4%)|
|Science Fiction||16 (8%)||17 (10%)||14 (7%)||11 (5%)||58 (9%)|
|Steampunk||7 (4%)||3 (2%)||3 (2%)||11 (5%)||24 (4%)|
|Theology/Christian Living||42 (22%)||42 (25%)||37 (19%)||10 (5%)||131 (20%)|
|Urban Fantasy||19 (10%)||20 (12%)||26 (14%)||48 (23%)||113 (17%)|
|Western||0 (0%)||0 (0%)||0 (0%)||1 (0%)||1 (0%)|
I’d like to see posts and traffic go up in 2016 — hopefully the number of books will be about the same, maybe a little more variety between Genres, hopefully a little more variety in types of posts — we’ll see.
- There are some people I’d like to thank for their impact on the blog in 2015:
- To theeditorsjournal , hortah01, Theinexorablenerd, Michael W. Anderson, Ryan Harris, andrewknighton, sp, The Primroses Were Over, RedTHaws Reads Randomly, Tim Brooks</a, Dessa, Obsidian Blue, Dany Spike, sheialanipov, Casey Owen, Walter Hackman, and A. S. Minor for their interaction with the blog via comments and email. Hopefully you can tell that you’ve shaped the conversation here — if not, I can, at least.
- To Manny Rutinel, 1 SIGFRIDSSON, emily kitta, Dioniso Punk, Maz Halima, pmitsuing, whatshesreadingnow, Crossroads Reviews, Curlydaz, Publishing Insights, the alchemist, abhinavmajumder, Melisa R, hannah19smith, K. L. Register, Man of many thoughts, smithnskarry, paynepills, Books Direct, byclarkellis, Injoy’s Blogs + Book Reviews, jrhehl, legalreader, facetioussoup, Nothing better than a good book…, soireadthisbooktoday, Never let the truth get in the way of a good story, Michelle Kim, The Reader Who Lives a Thousand Lives, Themis-Athena’s Garden of Books, Grimlock ♥ Deadpool, Paul Read or Dead, Constantly Moving the Bookmark, The Primroses Were Over, Book Cupidity, Jessica’s Book Thoughts, enthrallingdimple, The Historical Diaries, Justin Whitehouse, Sarah Johansson, E.S. Wesley, G. E. Gallas, Kent Wayne, Lagniappe Literature, Emmanuel Muema, Laura@125Pages, Nightlizard, Wizard, Obsidian Blue, Marjorie, S. C. Flynn, Hooked on Books, fictionistasan, cabeswater, Crime Time Podcast, writtengems, Austin Wiggins and Brenton Dickieson for being new followers (at least for a post or two) of the blog (in one of its forms) this year — the size of this list shocks me, and I hope you all got at least something out of it. (I sincerely hope I didn’t miss anyone)
- Thanks especially to whatshesreadingnow, Injoy’s Blogs + Book Reviews, Joseph Finder, Andy Abramowitz, Benedict Jacka, Fran Wilde, S. C. Flynn, @MikeRUnderwood, @FromTheWastes, @LeeGoldberg, @mouseferatu, @ShaneKuhn, @angryrobotbooks, @wes_chu, @misterkristoff, @cmpriest, @Cat_Warren, @sternbergh, @byharryconnolly, and Reed Ferrel Coleman for the Retweets, Tweets, blog links, and the interaction!! (really, I can’t believe some of you took the time to interact via twitter/comments/email — in person(!)) — not only were you kind enough to give me your attention, you served as my PR machine by pointing people to the blog. And for a lot of you, I could see the results. If that means I owe you money, um . . . well, the check’s in the mail? I know I forgot/overlooked someone here — my deepest apologies and regrets.
- To Michael Connelly, Jonathan Stephen, William Gurnall, Carrie Vaughn, Ben Aaronovitch, Graeme Simsion, Adam Sternbergh, Harry Connolly, Jim Cliff, Sinclair B. Ferguson, Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham, Phil & Kaja Foglio, Brandon Sanderson, O. Palmer Robertson, Chad Van Dixhoorn, Pierce Brown, Myke Cole, Jaye Wells, Nick Hornby, Kevin DeYoung, Christopher Noxon, Catherynne M. Valente, Aaron J. Elkins, Chris Grabenstein, Alafair Burke, S. J. Rozan, Gianmarc Manzione, Patricia Briggs, Ellen Meister, Seanan McGuire, David Murray, Amber Benson, Chuck Wendig, Owen Laukkanen, Cath Staincliffe, Craig Johnson, Christopher Healy, Carl R. Trueman, Joseph Finder, Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris, Terry L. Johnson, Roddy Doyle, F. Paul Wilson, Faith Hunter, Marissa Meyer, Chris Stedman, Rod Duncan, G. M. Ford, Dave Gehrke, Nicholas Bownd, W. Bruce Cameron, Cat Warren, Archie Parrish, Spencer Quinn, Gail Carriger, Dave Barry, Ace Atkins, Michael R. Underwood, Scott Meyer, James L. Cambias, Max Gladstone, Cherie Priest, Peter Clines, Lisa Lutz, Jamie Schultz, Kelly McCullough, Alex Bledsoe, Jason Helopoulos, Wesley Chu, Edward T. Welch, Naomi Novik, Gwenda Bond, Janet Evanovich, Bill McKeever & Eric Johnson, Michael Reeves, Andy Abramowitz, Victor Gischler, Richard B. Gaffin, Jr., Richard D. Phillips, Patricia Park, Ernest Cline, Bryon Quertermous, Brandon D. Crowe, Scott Hawkins, Sam Allberry, Aimee Byrd, Jessica Knoll, Samuel Rutherford, R. C. Sproul, Benedict Jacka, Harper Lee, Mallory Ortberg, Bryan Lee O’Malley, Gerald M. Bilkes, Michael J. Kruger, Kat Richardson, Shane Kuhn, William Boekestein and Daniel R. Hyde, David Rosenfelt, Geerhardus Vos, Michael Koryta, Paul Cornell, Brad Parks, Ari Marmell, Reed Farrel Coleman, Ronald S. Wallace, Kim Harrison, Keith A. Mathison, Lee Child, Kunal Nayyar, Lee Goldberg, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Melanie Sumner, Jim Butcher, Stephen Dobyns, Mark Jones, Magnus Macintyre, Fran Wilde, Michael Christie, Christine D. Pohl, Max Wirestone, Sue Grafton, Charles Kriel, Austin Brown, Felicia Day, Robert Crais, Robert Galbraith, Rick Riordan, Matthew Barrett & Michael A. G. Haykin, Fredrik Backman, Delilah S. Dawson, Pittacus Lore, Amy Stewart, Derek W. H. Thomas, Ethan Hawke, Mary-Louise Parker, Tarquin Hall, Johann Hari, Caleb Kaltenbach, Cornelis P. Venema, Jennifer Lynn Barnes, Nicole Galland, Richard Sibbes, Tim Challies, Andrew Klavan, John Bolt, Alan Jacobs, and Tana French this blog would be nothing without your efforts, your blood, sweat, tears, fears, work, love, dreams, hopes, and words. Your books were my companions throughout this year, and I can’t thank you enough for them.
- And you all for reading. Seriously, each time I get a notification of a like, or a share, or a follow, etc. it makes my day. To know that someone took a couple of seconds or more out of their day to glance at this? It means the world to me. Thanks.
Have a great 2016, hope you find plenty of good things to read!