Odds ‘n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You’ve probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:
- George R.R. Martin Might Finally Finish the Next Game of Thrones Book — “He is stepping away from blogging because he is ‘buried in work.’” But . . . but . . . but . . . what will we do without all the jokes?
- No One Wants To Read Your Book — a thoughtful and provocative post about the purpose and place of small presses. (h/t: Jo Perry, who knows a thing or to about small presses)
- It’s OK to just share the book love. #BookBloggers #bookBlogger #books #blogger — The Tattooed Book Geek writes in defense of liking things?
- The girl with ‘Girl’ in her title — I thought the title of this post was interesting, so I read it despite not getting why people are that worked up about the word (okay, I understand it, but I don’t get it — well, just read this post). But I stuck around because I loved the way it was written, I generally agree with the post and I really liked this statement: “I have never rejected a book purely because of a single word that appears in its title and I’m genuinely confused by people who do.”
- A novel to-go: Staunton writer says Hardee’s is his ‘sanctuary’ — A nice story about Brad Parks and his writing haunt
- Connelly honoured with CWA Diamond Dagger — a nice honor for someone who deserves it.
- William Faulkner’s Hollywood Odyssey: The biggest name in Southern lit didn’t spend his whole life in Mississippi
- Literary Pet Names Using Puns Unworthy of Their Namesakes — another winner from McSweeney’s
- A Book-ish Related Podcast Episode you might want to give a listen:
- The Author Stories Podcast Episode 336 | Brad Parks Interview — Hank Garner talks to Parks about Closer than You Know and many other things. I, for one, cheered when he said he hoped there’d be more Carter Ross books in the future (the people in Cost-co near me when I heard that probably thought I was way too excited about the bakery selection).
- This Week’s New Releases I’m Excited About and/or You’ll Probably See Here Soon:
- Closer Than You Know by Brad Parks — a thriller to make you lose sleep, make you lose hope, make you distrust almost everyone around you — that you’ll not want to put down. Seriously, thinking about it now gets my blood pressure spiking, and I read it last year. See everything I had to say about it here.
- Smoke Eaters by Sean Grigsby — a very original futuristic UF about firefighters and dragons. Not that I should have to say more than that, but here’s my initial post
- Burn Bright by Patricia Briggs — Charles and Anna’s 5th book brings them back to Montana to hunt a threat to their pack. I’ll hopefully get a post up about this mid-week, but fans’ll dig it.
- Tricks for Free by Seanan McGuire — The latest Incryptid novel. After Magic for Nothing you had to expect a title like this. I can’t wait to read what happens next to Annie.
- Good Guys by Steven Brust — a snarky procedural about magic and bureaucracy
- Mr. Neutron by Mr. Neutron — a nifty political satire with a title I misspelled every time I typed it this week, here’s my post about it.
Lastly, I’d like to say hi and extend a warm welcome to Jess T. and steamstefny for following the blog this week.