Odds ‘n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You’ve probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:
- A Better Way to Think About the Genre Debate — despite the not-so-humble title, Joshua Rothman has some interesting things to say about genre.
- Patrick Rothfuss Responds to Academic Snobbery — Rothfuss has a more colorful and succinct take on the genre debate as we see here, in his video response to a University professor not accepting his work as befitting a paper in their class.
- Speaking of Rothfuss, in For Love and Sass — one blogger responds to many one-star reviews of Rothfuss’ new book. It’s pretty funny even if you’ve never read Rothfuss.
- Dear Grimdark… — Sam Sykes writes a letter to Grimdark fantasy.
- This Week’s New Releases I’m Excited About and/or You’ll Probably See Here Soon:
- The Burning Room by Michael Connelly — Harry Bosch back in action!
- So, Anyway… by John Cleese — the great comic actor’s memoirs.
- Harry Harrison! Harry Harrison!
by Harry Harrison — the SF giant’s memoirs
- Texts from Jane Eyre by Mallory Ortberg — this looks great.