Grawlix! If I didn’t know better, I’d say that The Universe, The Matrix, Loki, Coyote, Murphy’s Law or the Greek ghost Thespis was messing with me and keeping me from getting anything written or posted here. I’m a little stunned that I got this compiled, really. Hopefully, next week will be better.
Here are some odds ‘n ends over the week about books and reading that caught my eye. You’ve probably seen some/most/all of them, but just in case:
- Jim Butcher tortured (and pleased, but mostly tortured) his fans by giving usthe opening line of Peace Talks, the upcoming Dresden Files novel, this week.
- Which was slightly overshadowed by the news of a new novel by Harper Lee!
- The day following the news, the Internet was full of joy over the prospect. Some of the best reactions were collectedhere (What are authors saying about the upcoming Harper Lee novel?) and here (The Best (and Worst) Twitter Jokes about Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird Sequel) — the best, of course, was George RR Martin’s.
- And then, of course, because the Internet can’t let us have nice thingssome questions start to get asked about her involvement. So her publisher says she’s excited about it and others keep wondering
- Harry Connolly’s The Way Into Chaos got a nice review over at Boing Boing as well as an entry in the My Favorite Bit series over at Mary Robinette Kowal’s blog.
- What’s Your Book Nerd Score? — there’s some really funny lines here.
. Who knows what the truth is, who knows if we’ll ever know. I just know what I’m going to be reading this July.
- This Week’s New Releases I’m Excited About and/or You’ll Probably See Here Soon:
- Funny Girl by Nick Hornby — Hornby continues to explore celebrity, this time in the 1960’s with an up and coming actress. Not really what I’d have expected from him next, but I’m not sure what I did expect.
- The Way Into Darkness by Harry Connolly — the Third and final installment in The Great Way saga. Hearing so many good things about this one already!
- Covenant’s End by Ari Marmell — bittersweet — a new Widdershins Adventure, but sadly, it’s the last.